Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Transition and Change......friends or enemies???

It struck me this morning as I was making a batch of cookie dough, don't be fooled as I won't be making cookies - the dough went straight into the fridge in order for me to grab a spoonful at my leisure, that my college days are nearly over.
As of August, I probably won't be staying up until 2am while waking at 11am in time for an 11:30 class. No longer will I be creating songs with my friends about dead goldfish while simultaneously creating a rockin' music video to go along with it......many of my friends have gone home for the summer and many have moved away. It makes me sad, there's no getting around that. It also makes me nervous.
What's in store for me? Where will I be in six months? Will I still be in Tahlequah? Will I be in Tulsa (oh, I hope so!)? This time of transition is proving to be difficult for me. Over the past four years, I have become friends with "change." Classes change every six months, people arrive at NSU, people leave. It hasn't been easy for this 24-year-old, er-mumble-erthir-mumble-tythree-mumble-year-old to go with the flow sometimes. Especially as I have in the past been resistant and fearful of change much like how Kate Gosselin's body reacted to dancing.
I don't know exactly when it happened, but I gradually accepted change and began to look forward to the newness of a semester. So I have to ask myself, why am I not feeling the same way now? And myself knows the answer: the last four years of my life have been the absolute best. Will the next 40 be as good?
That might seem like a silly question, but I think everyone who experiences something amazing wonders if anything else will ever top it. I feel like I'm a character on Saved by the Bell: The College Years. My show is about to be cancelled, because honestly, how many years can Zack and Kelly stay in college and not begin to look special? The College Years have been the culmination of my life, really. These four years have followed seven of the worst, and I guess my initial reaction is.....how will my future compare to the college years? Will it be as fun?
Maybe, maybe not. But I'm optimistic enough to know there are great things ahead of me. Israel Houghton sings a song about the latter days being greater than the former, which is biblical as well. I have stood on the words of that song many times, just as I do now.
I may have to remind myself that change and transition doesn't mean boring and depressing. I have my health, a pain-less back, the love of my family and my God, a good pair of high heels, a 4-legged friend to keep me from getting lonely, and cold cookie dough in the refrigerator. Sometimes, that's all a gal really needs.....

2 comments:

  1. You know things must change once a "gal" becomes a wife and mother. I would love to have a bowl of cookie dough in the fridge to take a spoonful of once and a while. However my loving wife thinks that is a very bad habit since it contains raw eggs. (Never mind that we have had a friend who used to buy our fresh eggs so he could drink one a day.)And since I now have teenage girls who love to bake they would take the dough and bake it so they could eat the cookies.

    I must admit that when no one is looking I will often take a spoonful or two of the dough that is in the kitchen when they are baking cookies.

    Thank you for blogging again. I love to read it. And even though I am a realitive I don't just tell you I like it when I don't . I have learned never to tell a lie. One more thought for you. Why do they call walking across the street in the middle jay walking? It seems to me that if you walk down to the corner to cross, then cross and walk back up the street to where you want to go, you are making the "J". I think then that the true definition of jay walking is doing just that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Especially as I have in the past been resistant and fearful of change much like how Kate Gosselin's body reacted to dancing."

    I almost peed my pants at this!
    HAHAHAHA!
    -Sheridan

    ReplyDelete