Saturday, June 2, 2012

Rich Men

Perusing Facebook this evening, I noticed one of those advertisements on the right hand side. I usually ignore them, but this one caught my attention and simultaneously made me laugh out loud. "Be a rich man's princess! Sign up on richmen.com." Now, that's a loaded sentence if I've ever heard one! Naturally, I had to go to richmen.com to check out exactly what they were about. My suspicions were correct....it's an online dating service that caters to the ahem....wealthy. Their tag line is "Rich Men. Where the wealthy hookup." I'm not wealthy. Heck, I'm kind of unemployed actually...although I just got a summer job at Barnes & Noble's. But what would stop me from signing up and logging on as a wealthy woman seeking a soul mate? Absolutely nothing. However, I do have class and that's where I draw the line. I would never do that, but it got me thinking......how many wealthy people are accurately represented on there? If we are talking statistics, then maybe we'd better be ready to locate because according to online sources, Hawaii has the largest number of millionaires, followed closely by states such as Maryland, Virginia, Alaska and last but not least, California. Oklahoma didn't make it to the top ten. In fact, are you curious where Oklahoma fits in on the millionaire list? Sure you are..... Oklahoma is.....low. There are approximately 21,000 households in Oklahoma City that are considered millionaire households. And that is the only city represented in Oklahoma. There's a map that goes along with this statistic and the dot was so small in Oklahoma that I had to zoom in on it about four times. You may look at that number and think "wow, that's a whole lotta millionaires!" Considering the population, however, it's really not. And I'm betting that all 21,000 of those individuals are not "hooking up" on richmen.com. My guess is that site is full of men and women who portray themselves as something other than what they are. I could pull of rich......I could. Until they saw me drive up in my 1999-250,000-mile-beater. What will the internet come up with next?? There's no telling.

No comments:

Post a Comment