Sunday, August 1, 2010

You Judge, I Judge, We All Judge....

Judging.
This word is thrown around everywhere from the pulpit to the Pecan street alley....but what does it mean, really?
Well, I know it's a book in the bible. And if I'm not mistaken, it's aptly named because it chronicles the times of actual judges, who resided in biblical times. But these judges were more like freedom fighters, than actual Judge-Judy-types, sitting on worn, wooden benches. My study Bible says they were more concerned with fighting for their freedom than presiding over legal matters.
I also know that Webster's describes judging as several different things: "to form a judgment or opinion of; decide upon critically," or "to make a careful guess about; estimate," or even "to make a mental judgment."
The cry of this age is "don't judge," "don't judge me," or "don't judge others."
What are we really saying, when that is our reply?
I've thought about this several times over the past few years. We are so quick to spit out "don't judge." But are we missing where that sentiment really came from and what it really intimated?
Let's take a look.......Romans 14:1-22 is the passage most often referred to, whether people know they're referring to it or not, and it says in verse 13, "let us stop passing judgment on one another."
But I think it would be wise to read the verses previous to that, as well as after....Paul is admonishing Christians not to be a stumbling block to those "whose faith is weak," or new Christians. As best as I can tell, and I'm no theologian, there were some arguments taking place as to what day was considered sacred, as well as people condemning others for their food choices.
Apparently Christians were arguing about food long, long before any church pot-lucks.
This chapter emphasizes not to be swayed into petty arguments that mean nothing! If someone wants to eat only veggies, let them! If they go to church on Tuesday and not Sunday, let them! This chapter is referring to food and days of the week.
Nowhere in that chapter did I read that I was not to listen or look at someone's actions, words or life-fruit, and make a decision as to whether or not I will keep company with that person. Nor did I read in Romans that I should allow friends or family to continue in sin, because it's "not my place to judge."
Now, before any of you start crawling up on your high horse....let me kick the crate out from under you. I am not speaking of anyone in particular. None of my family or friends have said this to me. It's something I've thought about often, though.
If I see or hear something that is contrary to the Word of God, do I accept it, so as "not to judge?"
Yes and no. I've talked with a good friend of mine about this subject a few times in recent weeks. We both agree that there has to be a balance of love AND awareness.
We need to love those that aren't part of the Family. And ultimately, allow the Lord to transform them.
But making a "critical decision" about a certain aspect of my life, or someone else's....is just that. It's MY decision. If I feel you're falling off the wagon because you drunk-dial me half a dozen times, I'm gonna decide that you probably aren't the person I'm going to hang out with next weekend. Am I judging???!! Oh no....I judged that individual (please realize, I made this scenario up)!!
Yes, I DID judge. I formed an opinion of and made a careful estimate about how much time I will spend with my often-intoxicated friend.
I think it's okay to do that.
In fact, I think we SHOULD do that.
It's all about....balance. Love them. But they need to know the truth as well.
I tend to think that those yelling "don't judge" the loudest are trying to drown out their own common sense.
Form opinions. Love people.
And yes, I believe it's possible to do both.

7 comments:

  1. Well said Julie!!! AND I have found that the people yelling don't judge the loudest are doing that in return, judging you for having an opinion, at least in my opinion that is. ugh hard to convey! but you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and this blog title also reminded me of, "what? gimme a pen! your signin, I'm signin, we're all signin!" -TTYD-

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what it was supposed to remind you of! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed well said. Remember "Faithful are the wounds of a friend." Solomon said that. It is very hard to see someone you love make foolish choices. Of course you are judging the choices to be foolish aren't you. So what we base the judgement on is very crucial. It should always be the word of God.
    All that said Sandee, Which will affect your life for the better? Reading the Bible or vampire books? It's all seed. Whatever you read, watch, talk about, think about, it's all seed and it will grow up and bring in a harvest. To quote Genesis, "as long as the earth remains there will be summer and winter, seed, time, and harvest." Remember you were created from the dirt. That's where seeds grow. Be careful what you plant in your garden. And I only say this because I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think an important thing to remember is whether the person you're talking to is under your authority or not. For example, when I correct my children, they're under my authority, so I'm within my realm of responsibility to evaluate what they're doing. The goal is to teach them to be able to be self-governed and be able to evaluate their own lives based on what will produce good things in their own lives. (I.e.: All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable.)

    For peers, you can really only offer suggestions if they're open to it. Paul corrected the early Christians because he had a level of authority over them and was responsible for them.

    If I thought a friend was involved in something that wasn't going to produce good in her life, I might say something or I might not. It would depend on my relationship with that person and the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good points! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the judging that provokes people to say the phrase, "don't judge me!" comes from when people "make judgment" based of ASSUMPTION rather than facts or having actually talked with the person they are "judging" about their choices/convictions/etc.

    ReplyDelete