Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Romanticalness and Ridiculousness

Yes, I probably just created a new word with "romanticalness." But hey, freedom of speech could also mean freedom to make up nonsensical words, right?
I've chosen today's topic in light of two of my closest friends professing their love and adoration of each other on Facebook. I love these two. I'll not name names, because that would just be rude. They were married a couple weeks ago, so I 100% expected to see some romanticalness infused into their posts and status updates. I was secretly looking forward to it. I'm glad they get to experience the period of time where everything looks pink and red because of those rose-colored, honeymoon goggles they have on. And here's another secret....I kind of look forward to experiencing that myself, someday. It's definitely not a negative thing. I think of it as a time that really bonds the husband and wife together.....it's them against the world sort of thing. It's adorable.
But on the flip side, we have ridiculousness. I have witnessed MANY a ridiculous status update or post that should only have been meant for the eyes of the intended. Not the general public. I have gagged on numerous occasions, putting my head in my hands and lamented the person for their lack of discretion, or sickening pet names. Here's my question: why do I have more tolerance for my favorite newlyweds than I do the others?
Because I like the newlyweds better? Probably.
Because even in their sweet, lovey dovey way they still don't look ridiculous? Sure.
But the minute they start with the nick names, I'm launching an intervention. :0)
And you may ask..."So what? A ridiculous couple has pet names and they profess their opinion about how Hugh Jackman-like their spouse looks. What's so wrong with that?"
There is so much wrong with that I could spend 4 blogs on it. But I digress.
The ridiculous couples lack discretion. I think that's what bothers me the most. I had a very wise mother-in-law once, and she would sometimes say "Now Earl!"
"Now Earl" came from a story that there was a man named Earl and he would say everything he thought. He had no filter, and it would invariably get him into trouble. So saying "Now Earl" is the equivalent of saying "not everything you say needs to be said."
It's doggone good advice for every person on this planet. Maybe I should make a few t-shirts. And add "on FB" onto the end of the saying.
So in light of all the romanticalness and ridiculousness floating around on Facebook, I've made a decision that when that happy day comes for me, I will unabashedly launch into sweet monolgues, cataloguing each wonderful character trait of my loving husband and I promise to obsess about his body, his clothing and his love-laced comments to me on FB for all the world to see. And I hope to goodness I make people shake their heads, gag, throw up in their mouths, or maybe even shut their laptop off.
I feel this is justice.
After all, I've had to put up with the ridiculousness for far too long.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I love it and I agree with your sentiments!

    The King has spoken.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete