Monday, April 11, 2011

My Savior, My Rescuer, My Sheriff

I'm stubborn. There's just really no other way to put it.
This is not news to anyone in my family, nor is it news to my close friends. But I like to think I'm stubborn in a good way. I stick with something until its finished, I don't change my mind at the drop of a hat. But apparently I can be stubborn in the negative way as well.
That can be said for almost any characteristic trait that any of us possess. It's like the force. There's a light side and a dark side. Our stubbornness can be used in the Obi-Wan-likeness or we can go the way of the Darth Apprentice......wow, I've lived with my nerd-brother wayyyy too long.
It's true though.
Why do we struggle against something that we know is inevitable, and that we know is in our best interest?
I don't know. Is it a matter of pride? I suspect yes.
Did I want to yank that white handkerchief out of my jeans pocket and throw it at my feet so that the Sheriff would see it and understand I was surrendering? Yes and no.
I'm a fixer. I want to fix things. I ALWAYS think I can fix a situation.
The Sheriff likes to remind me its not my job to fix MOST things. It's my job to live my life in the manner in which he's called me to, and its my job to forgive, to love and to serve.
As He is so quick to do, the minute I waved the white flag, The Sheriff wrapped me in his arms and banished the Cowboys of Cruel from the town. He saved the day. Again.
Here's one thing about My Sheriff. He never tires of saving the town. It's His town. He takes pride in it when its doing well, and he pulls rank when it's struggling.
I poked my head out of the fatherly embrace I was enjoying and looked back at the Cowboys of Cruel as they headed out on foot, down the dusty road. They weren't even tall! They were short, and insignificant, but sported really BIG mouths. All the better to fool me with.
I serve a relentless, pursuing, patient, unconditional loving Sheriff.
I am His town.
And it's peaceful here once again.

1 comment:

  1. I love this section: "Why do we struggle against something that we know is inevitable, and that we know is in our best interest?
    I don't know. Is it a matter of pride? I suspect yes."
    I'm stubborn too!
    -Jorjie

    ReplyDelete